NOTE: You will need an Excel (.xlsx) file of your client email addresses to upload the data into the system. You can export this data from your tax software or make your own Excel files of this info. Although the only item that needs to be on the list in order for it to upload is are the email addresses, we highly recommend having data in following categories in addition to the email address for personalization: Client's first name, client's last name, company name, and birthday. Here is an example of a file that can be uploaded:
To import your clients into a list in Mostad, you can do the following:
1. Log into your account at https://cloud.mostad.com/login/
2. From the Home screen, click on "List Management".
3. On your main Lists page, you can click the Import icon next to the list you would like to add your clients to. You can also create a new list first by clicking on the "Add a new list" button.
4. Save your current list as a backup just incase you need to refer back to it at some point.
You can export and save it as either a .csv file or .xlsx file, but we strongly recommend an .xlsx file. CSVs can come through as many different mime types (depending on browser settings, OS, or something a program changed on your computer). Excel files have a specific mime type that is consistent, which is why they're more reliable
5. Click on "Choose File" to search your computer and choose your list you want to upload.
NOTE: Agian, it says you can use an Excel file or a .csv file but we strongly recommend an .xlsx file (if you have Excel). CSVs can come through as many different mime types (depending on browser settings, OS, or something a program changed on your computer). Excel files have a specific mime type that is consistent, which is why they're more reliable.
6. Click the dropdown arrow to choose an option to either "Add uploaded data to my existing clients in this list" or "Replace existing clients in this list with uploaded data". Most of the time, you can just add your clients to the list, since duplicate email addresses are automatically removed and the newest information on that client is kept. Replacing a list will completely overwrite any clients already on the list with the clients on the list being uploaded, so this would likely only be necessary if there were drastic changes to the list (such as a replacing a list from the previous tax season).
7. You are now ready to upload your file. Click "Upload File and Start Import" to import your list.
8. Once you click on "Upload File and Start Import", you will be asked to set which columns include which data. The systems displays the first three items found in each column and a drop-down menu used to set that column's data.
The systems attempts a "best guess" based on the data found in your file. If the systems determines a best guess, you will see that column automatically set to what the system thinks it is. You can change this if it is incorrect. You cannot proceed until you have mapped a column with email addresses. Once you have mapped all of the desired columns, click "Save and Import Clients" at the bottom as shown below:
NOTE: If you import a file you have exported from MMC, you will see all columns automatically mapped as shown below:
8. You will get a notice saying that your list has been imported. You MUST refresh the page by clicking where the arrow shows in the green box area to see your updated lists. The red notice will only show up if you have one or more emails that did not upload properly and it will tell you which ones. This usually happens if you have headers at the top (such as EmailAddress, FirstName, etc) as I did in the example below.